Saturday, May 19, 2012

Dear mom. (part two)

You were the wife of a insurance salesman. A commission only kind of business and remember the paycheck that was 8$? But your God was and is much bigger than banks and underwriters. And your husband? He got the glory while you waited in the background and you were ok and preferred it that way. And he never hung up his coat. And there were bills and mortgages and private school and gymnastics and piano and you never missed anything. I didn't ever like being away from you. Because no matter what you made me feel important. "But a wise woman knows what powerful men can forget that the way to move Heaven and earth isn't with a strong arm but with a bowed head " I'm sure your head was bowed when we were 5 minutes later than curfew and when the cheer bus was hours late and for who I would marry and my salvation. You lived bowed. First to your God them your husband then your children. And you still had time to be a daughter yourself to the best grandparents ever. How I loved them. Your mom and dad. But you had to learn to parent on your own for your childhood was full of reprimands rather than praises. Yet you praised. Your childhood was not full of hugs and kisses yet you always had open arms and a lap for me to sit on. And could family vacations be anymore fun and full of humor? When I brought all dirty clothes?

4 comments:

  1. Laughing about you bringing dirty clothes on vacation. ;-)

    Love these lines:
    "Because no matter what you made me feel important."

    "You lived bowed."

    What a beautiful testimony to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, this is Jan Johnson and the comment thingie can't take my ID. (?)
    Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to your mother! What a grand woman she must have been.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan it shows up as janice Johnson. It's all good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan it shows up as janice Johnson. It's all good!!!!

    ReplyDelete